Friday, July 12, 2024

Oh My Pets - Baby Toddler Storytime

A Tuesday morning storytime for ages 0-2 years old.  

Opening #1: Skinnamarink (action song from Car Songs: Songs to Sing Anywhere by Dennis Buck from Kimbo)

Opening #2: Sticky, Sticky Bubblegum (fingerplay)

Sticky, sticky bubblegum, bubblegum, bubblegum; 
Sticky, sticky bubblegum;
Stuck to your __________.
1, 2, 3, PULL!

(Repeat with more body parts)

 

 

Book: Dog by Matthew Van Fleet, photography by Brian Stanton (lift-flap, moveable pieces)

Stand-up activity: On My Toes There Is a Flea (action rhyme/fingerplay I found at https://kcls.org/content/on-my-toe-there-is-a-flea/)

On my toe there is a flea,
Now he’s climbing up on me,
Past my stomach, past my nose,
On my head where my hair grows.
On my head there is a flea
Now he’s climbing down on me,
Past my stomach, past my knee,
On my toe,
Take THAT, you flea!

 

Sit-down activity: Five Kittens (fingerplay I picked up somewhere and adapted)

Five little kittens standing in a row
They nod their heads to the children so
They run to the left
They run to the right
They stand up and stretch in the bright sunlight
Now those kitties have the giggles
Those kitties have the wiggles
Those kitties go tickle, tickle, tickle on your little tum!

 

Lap rhyme #1: Tick Tock (lap bounce)

(bounce baby from leg to leg)

Tick tock, tick tock, I’m a little cuckoo clock.
Tick, tock, tick tock, now it is one o’clock… Cuckoo!
(raise baby up for each cuckoo)

(repeat for other times of day)
Now it is two o’clock… Cuckoo! Cuckoo!

Now it is three o’clock… Cuckoo! Cuckoo! Cuckoo!

 

Lap rhyme #2: Counting Bubbles (counting rhyme I learned during a BrainDance workshop)

One bubble, two bubbles, three bubbles, top.
(pat legs with hands for each number chanted, then place hands on top of head)

Three bubbles, four bubbles, five bubbles, drop.
(pat legs with hands for each number chanted, then drop hands to lap)

Six bubbles, seven bubbles, nine bubbles, pop.
(pat legs with hands for each number chanted, then clap hands loudly in front of body)

Ten little bubbles floating down!
(twinkle hands down to floor)

Now let’s blow _____ bubbles.
(This is a breath exercise.  Pick a number and pretend to blow that number of bubbles through hand.  Don’t forget to pop the bubbles with a loud clap after blowing it up.  I count the bubble while I do the clap.) 

 

Lap rhyme #3: Choo Choo (fingerplay that crosses the midline that I found at https://youtu.be/gr4gtVYSAEg?si=ceNiLrI-2BuUbGMC)

Choo, choo, choo, choo, choo, choo, choo, choo,
Up the railroad track.
Choo, choo, choo, chook, choo, choo, choo, choo,
Then we come right back.
 

First, we go to grandma’s house,
Up the railroad track.
Then, we go to monkey’s house,
Then we come right back. 

Choo, choo, choo, choo, choo, choo, choo, choo,
Up the railroad track.
Choo, choo, choo, chook, choo, choo, choo, choo,
Then we come right back.
 

 

Lap rhyme #4: Head, Shoulders, Knees, and Toes (traditional body parts action song)

Head, shoulders, knees, and toes,
Knees and toes.
Head, shoulders, knees and toes,
Knees and toes.
And eyes and, ears and, mouth and nose.
Head, shoulders, knees and toes,
Knees and toes.

 

Transition: Tommy & Tammy Thumb (fingerplay)

Tommy Thumb up, 
Tommy Thumb down,
Tommy Thumb dancing all around town.

Tammy Thumb out,
Tammy Thumb in,
Tammy Thumb dancing all in a spin.

Dancing, dancing, dancing,
Dance them on your knees,
Dance them on your head,
Dance them on your shoulders,
Then tuck them into bed.

 

Letter of the day: "D” is for Dog

 

 

Flannelboard: Five Little Puppy Dogs (flannelboard I found in my library system’s collection)

Five little puppy dogs barking at the door.
This one chased a cat,
And that left four.

Four little puppy dogs racing around a tree.
This one chased a squirrel,
And that left three.

Three little puppy dogs chewing on a shoe.
This one left to chase a ball,
And that left two.

Two little puppy dogs chewing on a bone.
This one left to find some lunch,
And that left one.

One little puppy dog tired from all the fun.
She went to take a nap,
And that left none.

 

***Literacy tip: Reading books about animals is a great way to build vocabulary around texture, shape, color, and sound.   

Closing song with scarves: “Milkshake” from Songs for Wiggleworms


 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment