Monday, April 17, 2023

Food Play - Family Storytime

 A Saturday storytime for ages 0-6 years old.  

Opening: "Row, Row, Row Your Boat" from Songs for Wiggleworms by Old Town School of Folk Music



Literacy flannelboard: Bread Alphabet

I wrote the letters of the alphabet on bread loaf cut-outs.  I then handed these bread loaves to the children and they brought them up to the board when I called their letter.  


  


Book #1: Piranhas Don't Eat Bananas by Aaron Blabey

Stand-up activity: “I’m a Little Teapot” action song from This Little Piggy by Adam Stemple, et al

Sit-down activity: Alligator Pie (an action rhyme I found many years ago that I have seen on many websites)

Alligator, alligator, alligator pie, 
(Open and close arms like the jaws of an alligator)

If I don't get some I think I'm gonna cry.
(Rub eyes like you are crying)

You can take away the grass,
(Point to the ground)

You can take away the sky,
(Point to the sky above)

But don't take away my alligator pie!
(Open and close arms like an alligator)


Transition: Come 'A' Look And See (fingerplay song I first picked up at a workshop conducted by Jane Cobb but can also be found on the music CD The Baby Record by Bob McGrath)

Come a' look a' see, here's my mama, 
(point to thumb)
Come a' look a' see, here's my papa, 
(point to index finger)
Come a' look a' see, my brother tall, 
(point to tall finger)
My sister, the baby, 
(point to ring, then baby finger) 
I love them all. 
(kiss the fingertips of your finger family)
 


Book #2: Who Took the Cookie from the Cookie Jar? by David A. Carter (pop-up)

Book #3: Early Bird by Toni Yuly

Closing with Scarves: “Popcorn Calling Me” action song from Buzz Buzz by Laurie Berkner



Art activity: (This one is more of a craft activity than an art activity.) Color, cut, and tape together a paper popcorn box that I once found at https://theimaginationbox.com/shop/.  




No comments:

Post a Comment