Sunday, March 4, 2012

Valentine's Day - Family Storytime

This is for an all ages, whole family storytime:
  • Opening - If You're Happy and You Know It
  • Book #1 - My Heart Is Like a Zoo by Michael Hall
  • Book #2 - Where Is Baby's Valentine? by Karen Katz (lift-flap board book)
  • Stand up activity - Hi Ho a Valentine (action song to the tune of "Farmer In the Dell")

A walking we will go,
A walking we will go,
Hi ho a Valentine,
A walking we will go.

A jumping we will go...

A running we will go...

A stomping we will go...

A sitting we will go...

  • Flannelboard - The Wind and the Red Paper Square (a cut and tell story that I found in a book many years ago, it has been so long that I don't remember which book it came from)
  • Book #3 - The Day It Rained Hearts by Felicia Bond
  • Activity - I Have a Little Heart (action chant I picked up someplace, I have seen different adaptations of it in many places)

I have a little heart
(hand over heart)
And it goes thump, thump, thump
(pat chest with fingers)
It keeps right on beating when I jump, jump, jump
(jump)
I get a special felling when I look at you
(point to children)
It makes me want to blow a kiss or two
(blow kisses)

  • Closing - Egg shakers with the song "Bumblebee (Buzz Buzz)" from Buzz Buzz by Laurie Berkner
  • Family Small Motor Activity - Create special Valentines by decorating heart shaped paper with heart craft foam and color pens

No comments:

Post a Comment