Thursday, December 14, 2023

In the Bath - Family Storytime

A Tuesday morning storytime for ages 0-6 years old.  

Opening #1: “Row, Row, Row Your Boat” from Songs for Wiggleworms by Old Town School of Folk Music

Opening #2: Roly Poly Oh So Fast (hand rolling body part chant adapted by Carol Hopkins)

Roly poly, roly poly, oh so fast!
Roly poly, roly poly, oh so slowly.
Roly poly, roly poly, up.
Roly poly, roly poly, down.
Roly poly, roly poly, hands on your head.
Roly poly, roly poly, hand on your feet.

(Repeat with other body parts)

Roly poly, roly poly, hands in your lap.

 

 

Literacy activity flannelboard: Pop, Pop Bubble Numbers (number literacy flannelboard chant written by Carol Hopkins)

I like to pop.
I like to pop.
I like to pop, pop bubbles!
Soapy bubbles, soapy bubbles,
With a {_one_} on them. 

(Repeat with other numbers. Finish by counting how many bubbles were placed on the board)

 

***Parent literacy tip: Counting objects is a good way to learn one-to-one correspondence.  You can count anything: Fingers, toys, food, so many things!   

  

  


Book #1: Bears In the Bath by Shirley Parenteau, illustrated by David Walker

Stand-up activity: Bubbles (action chant written by Carol Hopkins to use with bubble machine)

I like to pop, I like to pop, I like to pop, pop bubbles.
I like to pop, I like to pop, I like to pop, pop bubbles.
I like to pop, I like to pop, I like to pop, pop bubbles.
Bubbles, bubbles, bubbles, bubbles, bubbles.

(Repeat with different action words such as jump, spin, stomp, sit, etc.)

 

Sit-down activity: This Is the Way We Wash (action song to the tune of "Here We Go 'Round the Mulberry Bush" that I adapted)

This is the way we wash our hands,
Wash our hands, wash our hands,
This is the way we wash our hands,
When we get all dirty.

This is the way we scrub our face...
This is the way we rub our ears...
This is the way we rinse our hair...
This is the way we sponge our tummies...

 

Transition: Come 'A' Look And See (fingerplay song I first picked up at a workshop conducted by Jane Cobb but can also be found on the music CD The Baby Record by Bob McGrath)

Come a' look a' see, here's my mama, 
(point to thumb)
Come a' look a' see, here's my papa, 
(point to index finger)
Come a' look a' see, my brother tall, 
(point to tall finger)
Sister, baby, 
(point to ring, then baby finger) 
I love them all. 
(Kiss the fingertips of your finger family) 

  

Book #2: Bathtime with Theo & Beau by Jessica Shyba

Book #3: Bath Time! by Sterling Children’s Books (board book)

Closing music with rhythm sticks: “Goin’ On a Bear Hunt” from Kids in Action by Greg & Steve

   



Art activity: Stamping paint bubbles onto a bathtub coloring sheet using receipt roll cores. With an option to glue a yellow rubber duck cut-out onto the picture. 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment