Tuesday, August 8, 2023

Substitute Storytime - Preschool Storytime

When my coworker wasn’t feeling well, I stepped up to do her preschool storytime for her. 

Opening #1: “Row, Row, Row Your Boat” from Songs forWiggleworms by Old Town School of Folk Music

Opening #2: When Animals Get Up in the Morning (adaptation of a traditional song)

When pigs get up in the morning,
They always say “Good Day!”
When pigs get up in the morning,
They always say “Good Day!”
They say, "Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!"
that is what they say.
They say, "Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!"
that is what they say.

(Repeat with other animals I pulled out of a cloth bag.)


 

Literacy activity: Ice Cream Colors (color rhyme flannelboard found at Step By Step blog at https://www.stepbystepcc.com/foods/icecream.html)

We have ice cream, the best in town,
Let us begin with
chocolate brown.

Now, let us scoop us some bubble-gum pink,
It is sweet and yummy, the best, some think.

Here is ice cream minty and green,
It is the creamiest I have ever seen.

Yellow ice cream is lemony and tart,
We like its taste from the very start.

Scoops of blueberry would make my day,
Look at all this ice cream, hip, hip hurray!

Red ice cream is a strawberry delight,
All these scoops are a heavenly sight.

Vanilla white is a popular flavor,
It tastes very good to an ice-cream craver.

Purple ice cream really gives me a kick,
Good and yummy till the very last lick.

Ice cream, ice cream, what a cool sensation,
We love ice cream in any combination!

 

  

Book #1: Piranhas Don’t Eat Bananas by Aaron Blabey

Stand-up activity: “I’m a Little Teapot” action song from This Little Piggy by Adam Stemple, et al

I'm a little teapot
Short and stout

Here is my handle
Here is my spout
When I get all steamed up
Hear me shout
"Tip me over and pour me out!"

I'm a clever teapot,
Yes, it's true
Here let me show you
What I can do
I can change my handle
And my spout
Just tip me over and pour me out!

 

Sit-down activity: Alligator Pie (an action rhyme I found many years ago that I have seen on many websites)

Alligator, alligator, alligator pie, 
(Open and close arms like the jaws of an alligator)

If I don't get some, I think I'm gonna cry.
(Rub eyes like you are crying)

You can take away the grass,
(Point to the ground)

You can take away the sky,
(Point to the sky above)

But don't take away my alligator pie!
(Open and close arms like an alligator)

 

Book #2: Pete the Cat: I Love My White Shoes by Eric Litwin, illustrated by James Dean

Book #3: Bark, George! by Jules Feiffer

Closing music with scarves: “Popcorn Calling Me” action song from Buzz Buzz by Laurie Berkner

Optional activity: Playing with blocks and dinosaurs



No comments:

Post a Comment