Wednesday, February 5, 2020

Paint a Loving Valentine


The idea for this art event came from my ALSC mentee (now former mentee, but we still keep in touch!).  I made some off hand remark that I need to come up with a library program for the month of February.  She sent me several pictures of this art style.  I knew it was a great use of paints my library already had on hand.  Thank you Sandy for the inspiration to a wonderful program!


To create these masterpieces you need to lay down some masking tape on a canvas.  I recommend canvas because this material was the easiest for removing the tape later on.  We also had foam core out to use, but the tape was much harder to remove on this material.


The children can spell the word "love" with the tape, or do anything they felt like doing.  Once the tape was down, instruct the children to cover the canvas with paint.  Any color in any way that feels good.  The tape can be removed while the paint is wet or dry.  We used acrylic paint, which does not dry very fast if there is a lot of paint on the canvas.  Some families chose to remove the tape at home later just in case they smudged the paint while transporting it home.


I recommend doing this event with children ages 6 and up.  They need to have the dexterity to use the masking tape.


Supplies:

  • Paints (I used acrylic but I think tempera would work just as well)
  • Canvases (at least one per participant)
  • Paint brushes
  • Water cups
  • Paper plates (paint palettes) 
  • Masking tape
  • Paper towels (lots and lots!)


No comments:

Post a Comment