Friday, June 1, 2018

Flannel Friday: Hickety, Pickety, My Black Hen


I created this counting flannelboard set to go with a nursery rhyme I found for a chicken theme:

Hickety, Pickety, my black hen,
She lays eggs for gentlemen.
Gentlemen come every day,
To see what my black hen doth lay.
Sometimes nine and sometimes ten,
Hickety, Pickety, my black hen.

This set is made from clipart with magnets glued to the backside.  The children and I count how many eggs the hen laid that day.  This hen is a little sneaky!  She actually has 12 eggs that can go out.

Parent Tip: Nursery rhymes expose children to many words that are not used in everyday conversation. They expand a child's vocabulary. Children will also hear lots rhyming words. Research shows that children who know rhymes find it easier to learn to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment