Friday, March 23, 2018

Shapes Around Us Preschool Storytime

Storytime for 3 to 5 year olds:



  • Shape and color literacy activity - Three-dimensional shapes with building blocks
I handed each child one building block from a set of blocks the library got many years ago. The shapes came in four different colors and I used three of the shapes. The colors were red, yellow, blue, and green.  The 3-d shapes were cube, prism, and cylinder. One at a time, I briefly described the attributes of each shape and had the children holding the shape to come up and show me. Then I had the children put the blocks away in the basket when I called their color. 


  • Stand-up activity - Big and Round (action rhyme adapted by Carol Hopkins)
Watermelon, watermelon sitting on the ground
I see you big, green, and round
Bright sun, bright sun shining all around
I see you big, yellow, and round
Car tire, car tire rolling with a sound
I see you big, black, and round
Shining moon, shining moon giving light unbound
I see you big, white, and round

  • Sit down activity - This Is (fingerplay adapted by Carol Hopkins)
This is big, big, big
This is small, small, small
This is tall, tall, tall
This is short, short, short
This is fast, fast, fast
This is slow, slow, slow
This is yes, yes, yes
This is no, no, no
This is right, right, right
This is left, left, left
This is hide
(cover eyes with hands)
This is... Peekaboo!

 
 



   
 


  • Art experience - A cut, glue, and color worksheet about shapes found in a Mailbox magazine (June/July 2008)

No comments:

Post a Comment