Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Roominate kits at the Library

Thanks to a state library grant, I was able to offer a special program at my library using a number of Roominate Village kits.  The Roominate Village kits are a building toy with motors and lights.  These kits made for a fun engineering based program.  


The Roominate kits come in bright colors with lots of pink and purple pieces.  The company who makes this toy is clearly marketing it toward girls.  There is nothing wrong with this idea.  But it did give me some trouble with a few boys who almost left my program before it started.  After showing a short video of what the Librarian at neighboring library did with the kits at one of his libraries, the boys and girls in attendance at my program were inspired and ready to go.   


The children made some great constructs.  They ranged from simple houses, to a catapult, to carousels.  Many of the parents also got involved building creations with and without their children. 


Overall, I enjoyed watching the children use their imaginations to build with this toy.   

No comments:

Post a Comment