Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Valentine's Day Storytime

Storytime for 1 to 3 year olds:
  • Opening - Skinnamarink (from Car Songs: Songs to Sing Anywhere by Dennis Buck at Kimbo), Sticky Sticky Bubblegum
  • Book #1 – Snappy Little Hugs by Dugold Steer, illustrated by Derek Matthews (pop-up)
  • Stand-up Activity - I Have a Little Heart (action rhyme, I do not know where I found this one)
I have a little heart
(hand over heart)
And it goes thump, thump, thump
(pat chest with fingers)
It keeps right on beating when I jump, jump, jump
(jump in place)
I get a special feeling
(hug shoulders)
When I look at you
(point to children)
It makes me want to give you a kiss or two!
(blow kisses)
  • Bridge - Open Shut Them (fingerplay)
Open, shut them
(open and close hands)

Open, shut them
Give a little clap (clap)
Open, shut them
Open, shut them
Put them in your lap
(put hands in lap)

Creep them, creep them
Under your chin
(creep fingers up chest)
Open your mouth, but don't put them in
(do as words say)

Open, shut them
Open, shut them
Give a little clap
Open shut them
Open shut them
Put them in your lap
  • Flannelboard/Math Activity - The Wind and the Red Paper Square (cut and tell story for which I have since lost the name of the book from where it came from)
  • Sit-down Activity - Come A' Look A' See (fingerplay song I first found at a workshop conducted by Jane Cobb)
(Show all fingers of one hand)
Come a'look a'see,
Here's my mama
(point to thumb)
Come a'look a'see
Here's my papa
(point to index finger)
Come a'look a'see
My brother tall
(point to middle finger)
Sister
(point to ring finger)
Baby
(point to pinkie)
(kiss all the fingers)
I love them all.

  • Book #2 - Where Is Baby's Valentine? by Karen Katz
  • Activity – Valentine, Valentine (action rhyme I adapted from Teddy Bear, Teddy Bear Turn Around)
Valentine, Valentine turn around.
Valentine, Valentine touch the ground.
Valentine, Valentine blow a kiss.
Valentine, Valentine swim like a fish.
Valentine, Valentine give a hug.
Valentine, Valentine jump like a bug.
Valentine, Valentine find your feet.
Valentine, Valentine find your seat.
  • Closing - Popcorn Calling Me (scarf song found in Buzz Buzz by Laurie Berkner)
  • Craft – Write the words "Thumb-body loves you" on a piece of card stock. Now decorate this with thumbprints for a special Valentine.

No comments:

Post a Comment