Monday, October 19, 2009

Firefighters Storytime

Storytime for 1-1/2 to 3 year olds:
  • Opening - Skinnamarink, Sticky Sticky Bubblegum***
  • Book #1 – Fire Fighter Piggywiggy by Christyan and Diane Fox
  • Activity – I'm a Little Firefighter (action song to the tune of "I'm a Little Teapot," I originally found this rhyme at http://www.perpetualpreschool.com but have since found it elsewhere)
I'm a little firefighter on the go
Here is my helmet (put hands on head)
Here is my hose (put hands at side as if holding a hose)
When I see a fire hear me shout
Turn on the water and put the fire out! (move hands back and forth)
***Enhancement: Children learn by repetition. The more stimulation they receive from their environment (what they hear, see, touch, taste, and smell) the more connections they make between brain cells. After awhile there are so many connections that the ones not being used are pruned. It is repetition that keeps these connections between brain cells and make them strong.

No comments:

Post a Comment