Saturday, January 27, 2024

Everybody Plays Music - Family Storytime

A Tuesday morning storytime for ages 0-6 years old.  

Opening #1: “Row, Row, Row Your Boat” from Songs for Wiggleworms by Old Town School of Folk Music

Opening #2: Roly Poly Oh So Fast (hand rolling body part chant adapted by Carol Hopkins)

Roly poly, roly poly, oh so fast!
Roly poly, roly poly, oh so slowly.
Roly poly, roly poly, up.
Roly poly, roly poly, down.
Roly poly, roly poly, hands on your head.
Roly poly, roly poly, hand on your feet.

(Repeat with other body parts)

Roly poly, roly poly, hands in your lap.

 

 

Literacy activity flannelboard: Band on the Bus (musical instrument flannelboard I found at https://pasadena-library.net/kids/2017/music-toddler-storytime/ to the tune of “Wheels On the Bus”)

The guitar on the bus goes strum, strum, strum 
Strum, strum, strum
Strum, strum, strum
The guitar on the bus goes strum, strum, strum
All through the town!

Other verses:

The trumpet on the bus goes toot, toot, toot… 
The drum on the bus goes bang, bang, bang… 
The bell on the bus goes ring, ring, ring… 

 

***Parent literacy tip:  Rhymes and songs help children learn the cadence of language.    

 

  


Book #1: Bears In a Band by Shirley Parenteau, illustrated by David Walker

Stand-up activity: “Tempo Marches On” action song from Jim Gill Sings DoRe Mi On His Toe Leg Knee by Jim Gill

Sit-down activity: Ten Fingers (fingerplay, I’m not sure where I go this one)

I have ten little fingers
And they all belong to me.
I can make them do things.
Would you like to see?
I can shut them up tight
Or open them wide.
I can put them together
Or make them all hide.
I can make them jump high.
I can make them jump low.
I can fold them quietly
And hold them just so.

 

Transition: Come 'A' Look And See (fingerplay song I first picked up at a workshop conducted by Jane Cobb but can also be found on the music CD The Baby Record by Bob McGrath)

Come a' look a' see, here's my mama, 
(point to thumb)
Come a' look a' see, here's my papa, 
(point to index finger)
Come a' look a' see, my brother tall, 
(point to tall finger)
Sister, baby, 
(point to ring, then baby finger) 
I love them all. 
(Kiss the fingertips of your finger family) 

  

Book #2: Everybunny Dance! by Ellie Sandall

Book #3: Meeow and the Pots and Pans by Sebastien Braun   

Closing music with rhythm sticks: “Goin’ On a Bear Hunt” from Kids in Action by Greg & Steve

Art activity: Paper plate maraca to color with dot markers and put stickers on   

Optional books:
Drum Dream Girl by Margarita Engle, illustrated by Rafael López
The Nuts Sing and Dance in Your Polka-dot Pants by Eric Litwin, illustrated by Scott Magoon

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment