As part of the Jumpstart "Read for the Record" campaign, we started off reading the book Ladybug Girl and the Bug Squad by David Soman and and Jacky Davis. We then followed this with an activity for each member of the bug squad. The children could complete the activities in any order they wished.
LADYBUG GIRL - Make and decorate red ladybug wings.
BUMBLEBEE BOY - Make a bumblebee bookmark from a craft stick.
- Color a craft stick with stripes of any color using color marker pens.
- Cut a pipe-cleaner in half. Bend it into a desirable shape for antennaes.
- Glue the antennaes and one large pom-pom onto one end of the craft stick.
- Glue two beads onto the pom-pom for eyes.
- The trickiest part of this craft was letting the glue dry so that everything would stay in place.
DRAGONFLY GIRL - Use a scarf (dragonfly fire) to knock plastic blocks off a board suspended between two chairs. The children were encouraged to stand back two feet from the board to give them somewhat of a challenge.