This was designed as a summer reading program for children 3 to 9 years old. About 40 children and their parents attended the program.
- Read the book Fancy Nancy Sees Stars aloud to the whole group. (Since this book is rather small, we used our Elmo machine to project it onto a screen.)
- Ask the children for the meaning of fancy words found in the Fancy Nancy books.
- Hand out bean bags. Practice propor posture walking with a bean bag on the head.
- Do "The Bean Bag" song from Can a Jumbo Jet Sing the Alphabet? by Hap Palmer.
- Craft: Create a shooting star toilet paper roll windsock.
- Craft: Make your own star constellation with black construction paper and star stickers.
- Math: Sort fancy buttons into different categories.
- Game: Pin the ribbon on the posh puppy.
Notes: This was a fun, inexpensive program to put together. The children had a lot of fun. Our only problem came from the button sorting table. We put out colored shoe laces for the children to make circles to put their sorted piles into (there was a sign explaining this on the table). But the children wanted to use the laces to string the buttons onto. And then the children wanted to take these strings home, which we could not allow because we use these particular decorative buttons for other programs and sorting exercises. We eneded up removing the laces from the table about halfway through the program.